Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Reverse applique headband from Hang Loose T-shirt

I have found a lot of inspiration from Alabama Stitch Book by Nancy Chanin.


My headband project in this post uses my spin on a reverse applique technique from the book. I started with a T-shirt I purchased at the Goodwill.


The headband is two layers. The Hang Loose image will be the bottom layer. For the top layer, I chose an orchid-colored, T-shirt scrap from my stash.


Then I cut out the pieces for the headband.


Next I used a stencil and fabric paint to make a design for my applique work.

       

To make the headband, I put the two layers together and hand-stitched around all the stencils shapes with gold thread. Then I cut out the inside so the Hang Loose image would show through. I always enjoy cutting the fabric out of each shape to see what's underneath. I think is interesting how a novelty image can take on an artistic and even abstract quality when a portion of it is isolated.


The back has an elastic insert.
I hand-stitched around each shape with gold thread, then cut out the inside.























1 comment: