Monday, February 21, 2011

Textured mini tote from random Goodwill T-shirt

I found a T-shirt in my stash that I had purchased some time ago at the Goodwill. It was from an event in 1998 in San Clemente. I bought it because I thought it had possibilities with it's fireworks design. 

I recently purchased a new color of dye, Cayman Isle Green, I was excited to try.


I cut out all the pieces for the mini tote. There are 4 layers - a red T-shirt fabric for the top texture, the firework image layer, a muslin fabric for stability, and an orchid T-shirt fabric for the lining.
  
To create the texture, I ran a straight stitch every 1/2 inch, sewing the red fabric and the firework fabric together.

Next I cut the fabric in the middle of every section. For a more interesting texture I wet the project and put it in the dryer to make the raw ends curl.



Here's the finished mini tote. Just big enough for an evening out (9" x 9") - it can hold your wallet, keys, cell phone, lipstick, and a little bit more.

This side is the top half of the image.
This side is the bottom half of the image.




1 comment: